LTL Banner Image


As a fully-accredited Chinese language school, LTL can issue invitation letters for your Chinese student visa within 24 hours of your booking.

You will then have to apply at your local Chinese embassy or visa centre with your passport, a completed application form and our LTL Mandarin School invitation documents.

Some embassies may require additional documents, though in our experience this is usually not the case.

  • LTL is a fully-accredited school
  • Student visa invitations provided
  • Years of experience in the field
  • Friendly and reliable staff to help
  • Less than 24h processing time
  • Visa support and advice

Depending on the embassy, processing times can be anything between 24 hours and several weeks.

Note: Visa invitations for study in Beijing can only be issued to full time Chinese language students.

Student Visa

X2 visa: A visa valid for short-term study in China

Full duration: Get a visa for the full duration of your program

Visa Support

Quick: Receive your documents within 24h of booking your course
Easy: Just ask us if you have any questions!

Chinese Student Visas for Beijing

Chinese embassies will accept electronic copies of the invitation documents for many countries. We can easily email them to you within a day of you having made the booking or even faster. Some Chinese embassies however might require originals, which we can send to you via DHL. Depending on where you live, this will take two to five days and cost between 400CNY and 700CNY. Please make sure you leave yourself enough time.

The Process

Once you have booked your course, please send your Student Advisor a copy of your passport and your exact arrival and departure dates in China. We will then issue the documents within a day – or faster if you are in a rush – and email them to you. If your embassy requires originals, please let us know where we should send them and what kind of service you want us to use (postal charges apply). Once you’ve received your documents, please double check that your personal information and the course dates are correct.

While there are a lot of dodgy operators and companies offering all kinds of visa services, please be careful: only fully-accredited Chinese language schools like LTL are legally allowed to issue Chinese student visa invitations. To qualify for a student visa you also need to be a full time Chinese language student. Chinese student visas are also called X-visas, whereas the “X” stands for “xué xí” (to study), whereas “L” means “lǚ yóu” (travel) i.e. a tourist visa.

Student Visa Document Delivery

Unless you specifically ask us to do otherwise, we will always send you the electronic copies of your Chinese visa documents first so you can apply with them and save yourself the DHL courier charges.

Electronic documentsOriginal documents
FREEDHL charges, depending on your location

If you want your visa to be valid a bit longer than your course to travel around China, it is possible to organize this.

Chinese Student Visa Fees

Visa Invitation Documents

Visa documentPrice
Visa for <90 daysFREE
Visa for >90 days1200 CNY
Visa extension documents in ChinaFREE

Extended Visa Validity

<14 daysFREE
14-31 days500 CNY
31 daysN/A


Can I get a multiple entry student visa invitation?

Yes, you can. If you require a multiple-entry student visa invitation for Beijing, please let us know in advance so we can issue the documents accordingly. Please note though that it is up to the embassy to decide how many entries they will give you – which in our experience is not always as many as you might have applied for.

It is also possible to apply for additional entries once you are in China at the Public Security Bureau (PSB) in Beijing. Whether those entries are granted however is up to the officer in charge, who again does not always approve these requests.

Should I apply via a visa agency?

You can apply directly at your local Chinese embassy and do not need an agency to act on your behalf. In our experience however Chinese embassies are quite bureaucratic and often not very clear what exactly they require. Information found on the internet or even on the embassy website is also quite often incorrect or outdated. Especially if you do not have much time left, we recommend that you find an experienced Chinese visa agency in your country, as they will be familiar with the processes at the embassy you are applying at and can ensure that there are no delays. You also won’t have to travel to the embassy yourself to apply or pick up your visa, which means a lot less hassle for you.

Note: If you use an agency, please make sure they are experienced in applying for Chinese visas and do so frequently. What makes a visa agency valuable is their experience of going to the Chinese embassy every day to apply for Chinese visas on clients’ behalf. That will mean they are familiar with the staff and up-to-date with processes there. A visa agency that only applies for a Chinese visa once in a while will not know the processes intimately and so won’t be able to give you any more information than what is already written on this website.

Can I apply to extend my visa in China?

Yes you can and we can issue the required application documents for you. However, whether an extension is approved depends on the officer in charge at the Public Security Bureau in Beijing.

We strongly recommend that you get a visa for the whole duration of your course before entering China.

Can I apply at any Chinese embassy for my student visa?

Regulations on this differ in each country. In many countries only citizens or residents of that country are allowed to apply for a Chinese student visa at the local embassy. If you are traveling and plan to apply for your visa outside your home country, please make sure whether you are eligible to apply for a visa there. This is where an experienced visa agency can be quite helpful.

What do you need to send me original Visa invitations?

Send us the full name of the receiving person, address with post code and a phone number the courier can call to complete delivery. We can pre-pay the DHL fees for you and you can pay them with your invoice all in one. Feel free to discuss with us for further details.

What do I need to apply for a Chinese student visa?

Most embassies require nothing more than your passport, the application form, two pictures and a printed out copy of your school’s invitation documents.

Like most things in China however, rules can change and different regulations do apply in different countries. Please make sure you check with your visa agency or consulate in advance what is required in your country – or just ask your LTL Student Advisor.

Should I apply at the embassy or the visa processing centre?

In some countries Chinese embassies have outsourced part of the visa application process to visa processing centres. The visa processing centre will receive the documents, check whether they comply with the embassy requirements and then forward them to the embassy. If your local embassy is working with a visa processing centre, you will have to go there to apply for your visa instead of the actual embassy.

What if I have to leave China urgently?

If you have to leave China urgently during the duration of your course, but do not have a multiple-entry visa, we can issue a new student visa invitation for you for the remaining part of your course at no cost and you can re-enter China on a new student visa.

Which Chinese embassies require original invitation documents?

This is a process that changes all the time. Procedures can change from person to person or vary between different embassies in the same country. At the time of writing we are told that Chinese consulates the UK, Germany, New York and Japan do not require originals for student visa applications. However, those in Italy, Spain, Indonesia and Texas do. Ask your student advisor regarding recent experiences of other LTL students who applied for a student visa in the consulate you are planning to apply. It might also be a good choice to not apply in the consulate closest to you, but the one that currently has the easiest application procedures. Your student advisor can help you there.

What Our Students Said

Peter Testimony for LTL
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"The LTL staff were very helpful with the visa application process. I was on a strict time schedule as I had left deciding on my plans to the last minute."

Read More

Related Links

  • Group Classes

    Full Time

    Studying Chinese in a small group is a great way to speed up your Chinese for a really attractive price. Every student who comes here to learn Chinese with us is different and we cover all bases.

    Learn More

Ask us a question!
  • LTL Avatar Sabatino Antonini
    Sabatino Antonini , Student Advisor

    Welcome to LTL Mandarin School!

    How can I help you?